Monday, April 20, 2009

video creation.....a BIG FAT collage!

Howdy! Hope all is well in blogger land :D A note about the video in my previous post...

If you have never created a video before let me tell you, it is SO FUN! Although it can take a lot of time there is a system to it, as I am learning, and if you are a seasoned internet surfer you are already one step ahead of the gang. I learned in the process of making this video that having background knowledge about the internet and its wealth of knowledge can make collecting materials a tad bit easier. I have also learned that my issues with being verbose definitely carry over into video world...I found creating detailed story boards (with paper and pencil ;P) to be very helpful. For some videos it may work to just start putting things together but my personal experience was that I spent a lot of time looking with nothing to guide my search. It does help, of course, to browse the internet and other sources for materials that are available prior to the storyboard because it will give you ideas and hopefully spark something grand ;) Browsing (and collecting while you do so) is also great for loading your arsenal of amazing things to piece together your message with; something that you find interesting but you think may not be useful could very well be...you just don't know it yet! Other than technological issues (e.g. lighting & organization) these were the main things I took from this draft. Most importantly, allow the video to ebb & flow as you go through the process...keeping rigid guidelines will only hold you back!

This particular video is the first part of a larger more comprehensive video looking at theory (i.e. symbolic interactionism, looking glass self, and media ecology), development of technology/media, impact of written media and the history of anonymity as an aesthetic ideal and a cultural motif. With this first part I was hoping to shed light on the fact that symbols are more than we tend to think they are, from complex to simple, symbols are how we create our world. Understanding symbols in this role is essential to understanding everything else in my video. We communicate through symbols, construct our identities through symbols and since symbols are subject to interpretation there are endless possibilities for the creation of "the self" and how others respond to it. Enjoy*

What I'll do differently? For the final I will cut down this part on symbols, leaving enough to emphasize my point of course ;) I would also clean up the images and make them flow a little better, using the timing to highlight parts of the message (which I kinda did here but now that it's done I see room for improvement :) The "Lego scene" will have to be shot again due to the low quality most likely caused my bad lighting. When I shoot it again I will have better organization skills and hopefully a bigger table so that there is some consistency with how objects enter and exit (this will also for better effects when editing). The audio is in need of much help...the two main things are that I need to come up with a delivery method that doesn't sound so scripted (there are lots of quotes I was reading) and I need to incorporate verbiage using the word symbol so that the first part is better connected to this part. Any other suggestions kids?

THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment